Generic Goal 2 is Institutionalise a Managed Process. What, precisely is a managed process?
A managed process accomplishes the work necessary to produce work products and has the following attributes:.
- It is planned and executed in accordance with policy
- It has skilled people
- It has sufficient resources to produce controlled outputs
- It involves relevant stakeholders
- It is monitored, controlled and reviewed
- It is evaluated for adherence to its process descriptions
- It is instantiated by a project, group or organisational unit
The control provided by a managed process helps to ensure that the established process is retained during times of stress.
Generic Goal 2 Generic Practices
Under Generic Goal 2, there are 10 Generic Practices. Each Generic Practice has Process Area-specific elaborations (informative components) documented in the model definition.
- GP 2.1 Establish an organisational policy
- Are defined organisational expectations for the process visible to all?
- GP 2.2 Plan the process
- Is what is needed to plan and perform the process, achieve the established objectives and prepare a process description, determined and agreed with relevant stakeholders?
- GP 2.3 Provide resources
- Are resources available when required?
- GP 2.4 Assign responsibilities
- Is there clear ownership and accountability of all elements?
- GP 2.5 Train people
- Are the necessary skills acquired?
- GP 2.6 Manage configuration
- Are artefacts managed effectively and unambiguously?
- GP 2.7 Identify and involve relevant stakeholders
- Do all activities ensure identification and continuous involvement of all interested parties?
- GP 2.8 Monitor and control the process
- Are all activities adequately monitored and reported on. Is a process for controlling activities and deviations in place?
- GP 2.9 Objectively evaluate adherence
- Are the processes and procedures being adopted as required?
- GP 2.10 Review status with higher level management
- Is there appropriate and regular visibility of the efficiency and effectiveness of the process and components?
If you find it difficult to remember the Generic Goal 2 Generic Practices in order, try the mnemonic below:
- E – Establish an organisational Policy
- P – Plan process
- P – Provide resources
- A – Assign responsibilities
- T – Train people
- M – Manage configuration
- I – ID and involve stakeholders
- M – Monitor and control
- O – Objectively evaluate adherence
- R – Review status with higher management
E PPAT MI MOR – (Eeee, pat me more?). It’s worth a try!