Actual progress and performance of testing is monitored against the test plan.
As with progress monitoring, this Specific Goal ensures that product quality is continuously monitored and, at a minimum, validated against the pre-defined entry and exit criteria.
Testing should monitor product quality at all stages (and demonstrate at progress and test milestone reviews) that the levels of quality is sufficient at the respective points in the delivery life cycle.
Product quality should be continuously monitored and reported on to ensure that if quality falls below that which is expected at a given point, early warning of this can be publicised and mitigating actions taken to improve the quality.
SP 2.1 Check against entry criteria
SP 2.2 Monitor defects
SP 2.3 Monitor product risks
SP 2.4 Monitor exit criteria
SP 2.5 Monitor suspension and resumption criteria
SP 2.6 Conduct product quality reviews
SP 2.7 Conduct product quality milestone reviews
- Is the status at the commencement of each test phase checked against the entry criteria identified in the test plan?
- Are incidents found during testing evaluated and monitored against expectations and against test goals?
- Are product risks identified during planning and / or specification evaluated periodically against actual results (for example, are risk ratings reviewed)?
- Are suspensions and resumptions managed effectively against the plan?
- Is the status at the completion of each test phase checked against the exit criteria identified in the test plan?
- How is non-achievement managed?
- Are reviews of product quality and status undertaken periodically including at selected test milestones?
Example Sub-practices and work products
Specific Practice 2.3 – Monitor product risks
Monitor product risks against those identified in the test plan.
Typical work products –
- Updated test product risk list
- Records of product risk monitoring
- Periodically review the documentation of the product risks in the context of the current status and circumstances with a selected set of stakeholders
- Monitor changes and additions to the requirements to identify new or changed products risks
- Revise the documentation of the product risks, as additional information becomes available to incorporate the change on likelihood, impact and / or priority status
- Monitor the (number of) product risks mitigated by testing against the mitigation stated in the plan
- Communicate product risk status to relevant stakeholders