Corrective actions are managed to closure when test progress or product quality deviate significantly from test plan or expectations.
This Specific Goal looks to ensure that corrective actions are managed to closure when test progress or product quality deviate significantly from test plan or expectations.
While we try to ensure that projects monitor progress against plan and product quality (and report as required) it is not enough to merely highlight deviations or deficiencies – we have to manage them.
SP 3.1 Analyse issues
Investigate deviations from plan and product quality deviations from expected levels to identify the root cause of the issue
SP 3.2 Take corrective action
Ensure that all possible, valid corrective actions are identified, evaluated for impact and informed decisions made on what corrective actions are to be implemented
SP 3.3 Manage corrective action
Monitor the implementation of the corrective actions to ensure they do resolve the identified issues
- Does the organisational unit effectively collate and analyse the issues and deviations from the plan?
- Do they effectively determine the corrective actions necessary to address the issues and deviations from the plan?
- Do they plan and undertake agreed corrective action(s) on identified issues and deviations from the plan?
- Do they effectively manage and monitor progress and the results of corrective action(s) to closure (ensuring that the corrective actions actually addressed the issues or deviations from the plan)?
Example Sub-practices and work products
Specific Practice 2.3 – Monitor product risks
Monitor product risks against those identified in the test plan.
Typical work products –
- Updated test product risk list
- Records of product risk monitoring
- Periodically review the documentation of the product risks in the context of the current status and circumstances with a selected set of stakeholders
- Monitor changes and additions to the requirements to identify new or changed products risks
- Revise the documentation of the product risks, as additional information becomes available to incorporate the change on likelihood, impact and / or priority status
- Monitor the (number of) product risks mitigated by testing against the mitigation stated in the plan
- Communicate product risk status to relevant stakeholders