It is important for any assessment team to ensure that they are fully prepared before the assessment starts.
This is particularly important when planning an exercise which involves a significant amount of input from many people.
Delaying the assessment because the team is not ready could mean re-arranging a large number of interviews and possibly the overall delivery schedule.
The team (in particular the assessment Leader) needs to ensure that:
- All assessment method documentation and tools are ready and available for the assessment team. This includes:
- Assessment tools (spreadsheets, databases, templates or other tools)
- Data capture storage facilities (paper and IT based)
- A list of the artefacts to be reviewed pre-interview
- Artefacts and other documentation are available for review.
- The assessment Team resources are available and have been briefed.
- Assemble the team and brief them on the nature and scope of the assessment, their roles and responsibilities and ensure they are introduced to the Organisational unit being assessed
- The team have access to client sites as required.
- Venues and locations are agreed and room bookings are confirmed.
- Data backup procedures are in place:
- During the assessment the team will be building up a large, irreplaceable repository of raw data. It is important to ensure that this is not lost accidentally, so backups should be made regularly.
- Client Organiser contact details are available to all assessors and to interviewees
- Travel and accommodation arrangements are in place:
- Passports have sufficient time left
- Visas are arranged or are still valid for the period of the assessment
- Travel tickets / taxis arranged
- Hotel or other accommodation booked