The purpose of the Test Organisation Process Area is to:
- identify and organise a group of highly skilled people that is responsible for testing.
- The group manages improvements to the test process and assets based on a thorough understanding of current strengths and weaknesses.
The Test Organisation Process Area defines the functioning (tasks, responsibility, reporting structure) and the position of a test group in the overall organisation.
Test roles, functions and career paths are defined to support the acceptance of testing as a professional discipline.
Test process improvement is a key activity and includes assessing the current test process, using lessons learned to identify possible test process improvements.
Some points to consider when looking at this Process Area:
- Is there a formalised, independent and structured group of test specialists responsible for testing and test quality throughout the organisation?
- Is testing regarded as a profession?
- Is testing accepted as a professional discipline?
- Does the test organisation define testing, tasks, responsibilities, reporting and structure of testing?
- Does the test organisation manage test process improvement pro-actively?