The purpose of the Peer Reviews Process Area is to:
- Verify that work products meet their specified requirements
- Remove defects from selected work products as early and as efficiently as possible
- Gain a better understanding of the products being developed.
The Peer Reviews Process Area covers the practices for performing peer reviews on work products, by reviewing a requirements specification for testability.
It also includes the practices for establishing the peer review approach within a project.
Project reviews (otherwise known as management reviews) are outside the scope of this Process Area.
Some points to consider when looking at this Process Area:
- Is there a defined approach to performing reviews?
- Are reviews planned for all product items based on product risk?
- Do projects actually carry out reviews according to the plan?
- Are reviews checked for efficiency and effectiveness?
- Are reviews carried out with a view to ensuring that the product meets its specified requirements?